Thursday, October 25, 2007

UPCOMING SCREENING


Official Selection for the Mahindra Indo-American Arts Council Film Festival. November 7th-11th 2007. Tickets at www.iaac.us

Hearts Suspended is the untold story of legal US immigrant spouses who are denied the basic human right to work, revealed through the filmmaker’s personal struggles.









SYNOPSIS

Hearts Suspended is a short autobiographical documentary that reveals how highly educated South Asian immigrant women struggle to survive in the United States on their H4 or dependent spouse visas, which deny them work authorization. Once independent, now completely dependent, they face loneliness, depression, loss of self-identity, strained marital relations and — in extreme cases — exploitation and abuse.
Through a unique expressionistic combination of visuals, monologue, verite footage and interviews, the film takes us on a journey into the director inner turmoil’s, search for spiritual strength and eventual resolve to bring hope and political change for other women who are frozen in time because of the restrictive nature of this visa

Screening Schedule: Nov 8th, 6 pm, Newport Mall, NJ. Nov 10th, 8:30 pm, Loews AMC 19th and Broadway Manhattan. Tickets available at http://www.iaac.us/



DIRECTOR'S BIO

Meghna Damani grew up in Mumbai, India, where she did her master's in marketing. She worked at J Walter Thompson in Mumbai for two-and-a-half years in the Account Management Department on various Unilever accounts. Also a journalist and model, she came to the United States in 2002. Unauthorized to work on her ‘dependent spouse’ visa, her struggles inspired her first film Hearts Suspended.

She also finds expression through painting, photography and poetry. Meghna is fascinated by the blending cultures in New York, especially the South Asian American, and is keen on sharing their unique struggles, hopes, dreams, and victories through her films.

She believes that the purpose of art is to create harmony and she wishes to accomplish this in her films. A Documentary Film Graduate of the New School in Manhattan, she lives in Jersey City, NJ.


DIRECTOR'S STATEMENT

This film was born one afternoon in a coffee shop below my apartment in Jersey City, New Jersey. As I looked through the glass windows, at the Manhattan skyline with the Hudson river whispering to it gently, for a fraction of an instant I lost concept of time. I felt I was on Marine Drive in Bombay overlooking the jeweled skyline nicknamed as the ‘Queen’s necklace’. In that moment I knew that I was neither here nor there – I was truly suspended between the two countries, two realities and two identities – independent and dependent.

I was not complete in this country despite being here for 5 yrs because of my ‘dependent spouse’ visa status that did not allow me to work despite my Masters and 3 years of work experience. I could not understand this law. My spiritual practice of chanting ‘Nam Myoho Renge Kyo’ with the SGI (http://www.sgi.org/) gave me strength to turn this humungous blank period of my life into something that creates value, for, I learnt, it is because of the very muck that the lotus blooms.

This film is a piece of my life that I hope will tell the story of the thousands of educated women like myself who come here every year as doctors, lawyers, architects, business professionals, artists, etc. and are forced to stay at home for an indefinite period of time. Many are abused, exploited or in just plain denial that they have lost the most precious years of their lives – irrevocably .

18 comments:

Unknown said...

this is really feeling good, that someone is taking a step for expressing the actual condition of the girls on H4 visa's here. i m also on H4 visa here, and feel so dishearten sometimes. even my parents feel so bad for me.but nobody can do nothing.
i really wanted to see ur movie,and let my husband see this movie too, may be after that we will be back to our place soon.
good luck to you !!!

Meetu Singhal said...

Meghna, i am in India and have never been on H4. But your plight has made me think is there any way that H4 visa holders in US work for Indian companies( based in India) and get paid in India and pay taxes in India. I see this is possible in virtual world. does the immigration rules allow this to happen? I am stay in India, work virtually for US based company from here, get paid in dollars and i pay my taxes as income coming in from self employment. please do reply to this message .
Many thanks for raising this issue in a way that it can be heard by so many unaware people.

All the best to you and other H4 holders.

BLISS said...

how do others not residing in the place of screening get to watch this movie?
i m a dentist who have come on h4,
wud love to watch this film..

georgie said...

I would love to watch your documentary too, do you have showings set up in the Bay Area, California? As an H4 spouse living in San Francisco, I can guarantee it would generate a lot of interest and support from the communities here. If I can help in any way by suggesting places to screen it, I would be happy to! Thank you in advance for making a documentary about this very sensitive topic. It is so important to gain exposure on this and I admire your spirit greatly.

Unknown said...

Hi Meghna......I am soon going to be on H4 visa, saw ur film and its really nice and actually express the pain of working women. I am with you for this fight let me know if any help is required.

sanjuktaa said...

Hi Megha,

I was almost in tears after seeing your documentary film. Indeed our life has become totally vacuous and a very composed life. There is nobody to talk other than walls. It's quite sad.

Are you still in US or headed back to India?

Carnation said...

Dear people,
Instead of writing sob stories and facing similar plights, lets put a full stop to our scenarios.
Use the internet to the fullest, they will be a way.
U could
1) study further,
2) do a volunteering job,
3) talk to your spouse, not once but many times.let him know hat ur feeling.
4)never be let down by negative comments from anybody, esp in-laws.
5)keep trying
6)improve your cooking
7) engage in a hobby
8)listen/download good music
9)change the interiors of your hall, bedroom,they are umpteen sites in the internet which give you ideas
10) start creating something for storing utlity items
11)it takes a lot of effort to get to do the above mentioned things
12)but please for heaven's sake try and please start reading, rather than spending time watching TV
13)find out activities in the city and engage urself, find new friends
14)learn atleast 5 new words everyday, and form 10 sentences, write them down
15)pamper urself, give a home made facial
16)look in the mirror and smile often
17)if u dont feel happy, atleast pretend to be so, it will slowly change
18) during queit hours, practice ur driving with ur spouse
19)subscribe to a joke blog, to recieve jokes on ur mail page
everyday
20)DO SOMETHING, DON'T JUST SIT WARMING UR SOFA!!!
GOOD LUCK LADIES!

Meetu Singhal said...

Aha! what a food for thought, carnation. i appreciate your thoughtfulness. BTW any H4 person who is looking to work from home and get paid in India can leave a comment here as my company hires H4 visa holders to work virtually from home.

stay blessed!
Cheers!

Carnation said...

Hai Meetu,
Great to hear from you.Good work.The very title ' hearts suspended' voices our feelings!
Well something about me, I'm a Post graduate, with work experience from India and Europe, in the past couple of years,
after marriage early this year, landed up here on a h4, and the constraints!
Well I'm definitely interested in work, virtually from home, can you provide more details on how to join?
Thanks and regards,
Viva

Meetu Singhal said...

please visit www.ieecho.com , there is an email id out there. send an email on that with subject line - please forward it to Meetu Singhal. I will take the conversation forward from there.

All the best!

Anu said...

Hi Meetu,

Thanks a lot for this piece of info. I have been on an H4 since past 4 years and it sucks !!

I have worked as a software tester, german translator for about 6 years back in India. I would love to work for an Indian company. Please send me more details.

Anu

Meetu Singhal said...

Anu,

blog is not a right place to send info. of course i do not have your right email id. you need to email me as mentioned in my comment above. send you CV to us and some one from my organization will get in touch with you.

all the best!

Anu said...

Thanks for your prompt comment, Meetu.

I would like to know more about you and the company you work for. What is the best way to get in touch?

Anu

Meetu Singhal said...

please read my earlier comments on this thread you will get to know what's the best way to get in touch with my organization.

thanks!

Anu said...

Thanks, Meetu. I have sent you an email. Hope to hear from you.

Anu

Raj said...

Hi,

Somone please send/put a link to watch this movie online.I am quite eagerly looking forward to watch this movie since the time I read in local news papers about it back in india.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Regards
Raj

Meghna said...

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for your comments. I apologise for not being a frequent blogger, but I initially created this blog to showcase the trailer of my documentary before I could afford to create a website).
I am so happy that it has takena life of its own and has become a place where people feel comforable to share their deepest emotions.
I have been putting in all my efforts to raise awareness about this issue through my film and have had great success. The film has screened in India, all over Canada and several cities in the US (visit www.heartssuspended.com). My dream is to bring about a change in legislation but right now the first step is awareness. I am also trying to raise resources to implement my plan for outreach, screeenings, discusssions all over the country. The film will soon be avaialble for purchase on my website. I will let you know when that is in place (hopefully before yr end). Also, if any of you would like to help in any way - webdesign, local screenings, sharing your stories, partnering with local organisations please email me at meghna@heartssuspended.com. I need your help to bring about this change!!
Thank you all so much!

Unknown said...

Even i feel the same as Megha rightly said...how can husbands become so selfish and blind...they see the plights of their wives and even after so much of stress ..never want to go back to india...